Saturday, August 11, 2018
Early WW2 Polish Armor for Bolt Action
Here they are, the Polish 7TP JW and 7TP DW Twin-Turret tanks for our early war Polish Army!
The 7TP was the only genuine tank produced in Poland before World War II. The 7TP stood for 7 Ton Polish even though it was a 9 ton vehicle.
It was also the most combat worthy armored vehicle in the Polish Army at a time of the German invasion in 1939, and one of the icons of the pre-war Polish Army.
Several guns were considered but the Swedish 37mm Bofors gun was chosen, since it had been adopted as a standard towed anti-tank gun for the Polish Army, and offered good performance for that time.
The 7TP was the most advanced of all Vickers 6-Ton tank derivatives in the world, and can be considered a Polish design, being a compilation of foreign licences and their own inventions.
Despite all of this, it was not the most modern tank in 1939, but it kept pace with the world's standard for a light tank.
The light tank class constituted a mainstay of armored forces worldwide, and the 7TP could be a match for any enemy vehicle.
In March 1935, the first series of 22 twin-turret tanks was ordered.
All were utilizing machine gun turrets removed from 22 Vickers E tanks during their conversion to single-turret.
Such armament was a forced solution, since a final turret and gun had not yet been chosen for the single turret.
For additional information on the 7TP, check out The
PIBWL military site
Have A Great Battle!
The Old Crow
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
August 13, 2018 at 12:05 AM
Post Comments (Atom)